In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

08:28

Magazines contain typical conventions. These are masthead, a sticking cover image and an attractive colour scheme. They usually consist of three colours. These conventions ensure a successful magazine and what is also the visual language. Typical magazines include the same style through out the magazine, memorable sell line and cover lines. These are what construct the formula. I have chosen to keep similar conventions throughout my magazine so the audience will remember the style and the overall look of the formula.


Cover Image

Before editing




The cover image is very important. It is what people first see of the magazine and gives them an overall view of what the magazine will be like. It gives them an indication of the format and formula of the magazine. The image has to relate to what the magazine is about so therefore the audience will not get confused. It has to grab their attention, it has to be something that the target audience would attract to.

After editing

I have chosen to do an unconventional magazine. A typical conventional magazine would have the model making eye contact towards the reader so it would stand out and they are more intrigued to see what is inside. This is why the model in my cover is looking to the right rather than straight on. Although it doesn't nessasarly mean that people will notice the cover more, it does stand out as being unconventional which is what i was going for. The feeling that my cover photo gives however is more interesting, it is very different but in a positive way, more like making people want to ask questions.


In order to make my cover magazine stand out, i have made the models hair pink and brightened up the image. The colour of the background is much more striking than the previous one. This would hopefully attract attention as pink is a bright colour. I have used the webpage 'befunky' to create my final front cover image.

Colour Scheme



I have chose to use pink as my main colour throughout the magazine. Although this is mainly known to be a female colour, the black and white makes it more masculine. This fits my social group and my target audience. Because of these colours that i have used, i created a continuity that allowed me to figure out my house style clearly for the audience to see. Although a conventional magazine does usually include 3 colours, I decided to use 3 even though mine is an unconventional magazine. I think that pink, black and white work well together, they do not clash, therefore it would be more attractive and appealing to the eye for the audience. As shown from these pictures of my front cover, contents page, it is clear that i have used the colours pink, black and white throughout.

Final front cover
Final contents page






















Sell Line


The sell line gives the audience an indication of what is inside and what is included in the magazine. It is the main point of what the magazine is about. It can be one of the factors that attract the audience into the magazine. My magazine is unconventional, therefore it doesn't have a well descripted sell line. It is "CRYSTAL". However, is a very well known grime singer, this overall could attract people into the magazine because it is a well known name. Crystal is the main topic of the whole magazine, therefore people will want to know more with whats it contains.

Mast Head


Mast Head
 
The masthead of  a magazine is located in the top few inches of the cover. I decided to have a bold black masthead to allow it to stand out. This would mean that id it was ever on a new-stand, it would be seen easy. I haven't used the same font or colour of the mast head throughout my magazine like other normal magazines would. I decided to do as my magazine is unconventional, i want it to be clear that it is different to traditional magazines.

I have chose to use Georgia for my masthead and it makes the title very neat and bolder. It is a modern font and would be easy to spot. By choosing black, Georgia masthead i have created a memorable brand for my magazine that people would be able to remember. As it is a mature font, it would appeal to my target audience of 18-34 year olds.

Conclusion

Overall, I feel like my magazine works and is successful. This is due to the fact that I have followed to my choice of an unconventional magazine. The magazine is very well constructed for this type. The image is very striking, meaning people will be attracted to it. By following a magazine such as RayGun which is also unconventional, I have created a professional look.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe